The Royal Botanical Garden-Peradeniya was established in 1374. It is considered one of Asia’s most extensive and beautiful botanical gardens. The park covers approximately 147 acres.
History of the garden.
The Royal Botanical Garden-Peradeniya has a rich history that dates back to the 14th century. Soldiers used the garden as a camp during World War II and caused significant damage. Today, it remains an important cultural and botanical landmark attracting visitors from all over the world.
Location and Accessibility of The Royal Botanical Garden-Peradeniya.
The Royal Botanical Garden is located city of Peradeniya, in central province of Sri Lanka. It is about 5 km (3.1 miles) away from the Kandy City, and close to the Mahaweli River. The garden is surrounded by central hills of Sri Lanka and it’s providing a stunning natural cool and backdrop, The Royal Botanical Garden temperate and climate is ideal for growing a diverse range of plants.
The Royal Botanical Garden-Peradeniya can be reached by several modes of transportation:
- Driving: If you have access to a car, the garden is a 30-minute drive from the city of Kandy, along a well-maintained road. Parking is available on-site.
- Public transportation: Take a local bus from Kandy to Peradeniya, which takes about 45 minutes, to reach the garden. Taxis and tuk-tuks are also readily available and can take you directly to the garden.
- Train: If you’re traveling by train, you can get off at Peradeniya Railway Station and take a tuk-tuk or taxi to the garden, which is located about 3 kilometers (1.9 miles) away.
Key Attractions of The Royal Botanical Garden-Peradeniya.
The Royal Botanical Garden-Peradeniya is home to several key attractions, including:
- Plant collections: The highlight of the garden is the Orchid House, home to over 300 species of orchids.
- Research and conservation: The Royal Botanical Garden-Peradeniya is also a center for botanical research and conservation efforts. Scientists at the garden are working to understand and protect the unique flora of Sri Lanka.
Some important information for both local & Foreign visitors to the Royal Botanical Garden-Peradeniya:
- Opening hours: Daily from 7:00 AM to 6:00 PM.
- Admission fee: There is an admission fee for visitors, which is typically a few dollars. Prices may vary for foreign visitors.
- Guided tours: Guided tours are available for visitors who want a more in-depth experience of the garden.
- Rules: Visitors must respect the plants and wildlife, not smoke, and not litter when walking and must follow the garden’s rules and regulations.
- Facilities: The garden has many facilities, such as food Stalls, restrooms and picnic areas for visitors. Further there is gift shop also available for visitors for who can purchase souvenirs and books related to the garden and its plants.
The Royal Botanical Garden in Peradeniya is a paradise of lush greenery and exotic flora. It is home to over 4000 species of plants, including endemic species. It’s popular travel destination and Tourists flock to the 147-acre garden. It has a variety of attractions such as the Orchid House, the National Herbarium, the Spice Garden, and the Avenue of Palms. Visitors can also enjoy a boat ride on the lake or take a guided tour of the garden. The Royal Botanical Garden is a must-visit for anyone looking to experience the beauty of Sri Lanka’s natural environment.